IO slowdown with latest FC4 kernel

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Oct 1 03:37:58 UTC 2005

Dave,
thanks for the quick response.. Looks like the testing is gonna need to
be a little more extensive. After some time using the old kernel, the
initial performance dropped to the same levels that 1526 was showing
right after boot.

Dave Jones wrote:

>What kind of disk controller ? If IDE, is DMA enabled ?

It's onboard IDE controller. DMA enabled on both disks (two seagate
disks, using udma 5 , with 80 way cable).
The controller is recognized by lspci as
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

>It would be interesting to see the output of ..

I'll do some massive testing tomorrow to try to exclude the possibility
of HW failure, since the fact that both kernels show the same results
(even though 1526 shows it faster than 1456) makes me believe he may
need to get either a new disk or a new motherboard.

[]'s
Pedro Macedo