FC4 GNOME 2.10 a bit slow on Toshiba Satellite A40

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Sat Oct 1 04:37:52 UTC 2005

yordy wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Toshiba Laptop (2.8 GHz, 768 MB RAM, HD
> TOSHIBA
> MK4025GAS 4200rpm, Intel 852 video card and 1 GB of
> swap) with Fedora Core 4 (GNOME 2.10) installed, I
> note that is a slightly slow, for example, when I boot
> the first time that I click the GNOME menu panel it
> delay a few seconds in open, during this process my HD
> reach 100 % of utilization.
> Any body know why?
Gnome-panel is probably reading system menu entries and corresponding
icon images, since stuff hasn't been cached yet. This might take a tiny
bit of time on slow HD's (A 4200RPM HD is slow). It's normal.
Application loading times on laptops with such HDs aren't very
impressive, generally (I've got one myself). Tried firing up Firefox or
Thunderbird ? It's like putting a steam locomotive into motion, if the
HD's got to do all the work. I make coffee or play tic-tac-toe while
waiting (OK, those are two of the worst wrt. to startup-time, after
OpenOffice).

--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
  < http://www.oyvind.nu/