Suspend/hibernation/sleep of laptop on FC4?

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 1 10:43:44 UTC 2005

Hi all,

The last item to tackle on my new laptop is to figure out how to get it
to go into some sort of standby mode when I either close the lid,
briefly press the power button or right click on the battery icon and
select suspend. I have googled around but haven't really found the one
stop shop how to do it. I've read that "suspend to disk" is only
supported with the patches from http://swsusp2.net/ but Dave Jones'
stance ("My comments on swsusp are largely unprintable" don't really
inspire confidence. See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-October/msg01375.html)

So I have a few questions:

1) what is supported by the latest FC4 update kernel (2.6.13-1526)?
2) how can I make the parts that are supported (and safe) work on FC4?
3) according to one report the kernel parameter "acpi_sleep=s3_bios" can
result in filesystem corruption on 2.6.12. Does that apply to the FC4
kernels too? See:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_Core_4_on_a_ThinkPad_X41_Tablet#Suspend

If possible I would like the power button to act as follows:
- press it briefly and go into some sort of standby
- press it longer and shut down the laptop

On the laptop I also have a key combination (Fn-F4) that supposedly
generates an ACPI sleep message. Would be nice if I could use that one
too.

Many thanks for any pointers.

Regards,
Patrick