Modifying a TrueType Font name/style

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 2 00:05:25 UTC 2005

I recently purchased a font family that contains 22 fonts.
Each font though is marked as its own font family with regular style.
For example -

Wastrel - style regular
Wastrel Bold - style regular
Wastrel Light - style regular
Wastrel Oblique - style regular
Wastrel Bold Oblique - style regular
Wastrel Light Oblique - style regular

I want a command line tool or script or something to modify these so
that Wastrel Bold will be family Wastrel style Bold etc.

I could then reduce the 22 fonts in the font menu down to four (Wastel,
Wastrel Condensed, Wastrel Expanded, Wastrel Outline) - and using the
"bold" button in AbiWord etc. will work properly, using "Italic" will
use the real oblique instead of fontconfig generate fake italic, etc.

Based upon running strings on the Type1 (.pfb) version of the font, I'm
pretty sure I can change those appropriately - but I don't have a clue
on how to change the family name and style on the TrueType version of
the font. Any help would be appreciated.

This font, btw, is a nice substitute for Comic Sans MS - which has some
display issues in Linux (because of the Apple patents?) - but it would
be nice if it wasn't 22 different families - when really only four are
needed ...

Thanks for suggestions - I've wasted half a day googling. FontForge
looks like it might do it, but there has got to be a simpler way.