OSX- Fedora network problem

micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Sun Oct 2 03:14:49 UTC 2005

Thanks for replying

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 12:10 +1000, Eric Johns wrote:
> micheal wrote:
>
> >The first thing I would ask is if SELinux is enabled on the desktop. I
> >would also like to see the output of
> >
> >smbclient -L [ hostname of the desktop ]
> >nmblookup [hostname of the desktop ]
> >
> >from the OSX side.
> >

> SELinux is disabled
So that eliminates any restrictions there
> and
>
> Domain=[ODEN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2]
>
>           Sharename       Type      Comment
>           ---------       ----      -------
>           eric             Disk      Oden
>           IPC$            IPC       IPC Service ()
>          ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service ()
> Domain=[ODEN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2]
>
>                    Server               Comment
>                     ---------            -------
>
>                Workgroup            Master
>                      ---------            -------
>

> [freya:~] eric% nmblookup oden
> querying oden on 192.168.0.255
> 192.168.0.3 oden<00> WORKGROUP         ODEN
> ==================
> I hope you can see somthing .. :)

It looks like the Fedora box has the proper ports open, because you are
getting the proper response back. I am beginning to think this might be
a username issue. There are two ways you can troubleshoot this.

Run testparm on the Fedora Box, this will make sure that your smb.conf
settings are correct.

>From the OSX side try connecting through the terminal.
smbclient //oden/eric -U [linux username]

It should prompt for a password. If so type the linux user's password.
you should get a > prompt.  A dir command at this point should list the
files in that directory.

If this works then your problem is OSX is not connecting to fedora with
the correct user name.  The easiest way to do this IMO is to map the OSX
user to the Linux user in /etc/samba/smbusers. Let me know if you need
help doing this.

I would also like to mention installing swat on the Fedora box.  Its is
a great tool for setting up Samba to work properly and to perform all
the necessary user setups.

> thanks for looking

HTH

Micheal