Chicken and egg madwifi question

Gordon Charrick gordonmc at cox.net
Sun Oct 2 03:55:22 UTC 2005

I'm running fc3 on my computer and almost ready to upgrade to fc4. I
have a wireless card using madwifi from atrpms.net. If I upgrade to fc4,
I'll be running 2.6.11-1.1369. Axel's web site only has a prebuilt
module for the latest 2.6.12 kernels and I haven't been able to find any
old modules on the net. Trying to build the module using the source rpm
gets me this:

$ rpmbuild -bb madwifi-0.9.4.12-16.rhfc4.at.spec
error: line 1: Unknown tag: %kmdl madwifi

So, my choices are the following:

1. Figure out how to build the module from the source rpm. Anyone know
what I'm missing to build it?

2. Do the upgrade and have the 2.6.12 kernel and madwifi module already
downloaded and hope I don't run into a dependency problem.

3. Find someplace on the net that archives old madwifi modules for the
original fc4 kernel version.

Obviously, number 3 is the best choice, if I can find such a site.
What's the best solution to the problem?