Nut,usb and installation (continued)

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 2 04:37:47 UTC 2005

Tom Diehl wrote:
<------------------------------- SNIP
--------------------------------------->

> My suggestions above will fix some of the permissions problems but most likely
> will not fix all of your problems. I would suggest that you fix as much as you
> can and see what problems are left.
>
> Are you using the nut rpm? If so it should have created the proper directories
> and permissions.
>
> Mine looks like this:
>
> (foghorn pts7) # ll -d /var/run/nut
> drwxr-x---    2 nut      nut          4096 Sep 17 22:46 /var/run/nut
> (foghorn pts7) # ll /var/run/nut
> total 24
> srw-rw----    1 nut      nut             0 Sep 17 22:45 apcsmart-ttyQ01e1
> -rw-r--r--    1 nut      nut             5 Sep 17 22:45 apcsmart-ttyQ01e1.pid
> srw-rw----    1 nut      nut             0 Sep 17 22:45 apcsmart-ttyQ01e2
> -rw-r--r--    1 nut      nut             5 Sep 17 22:45 apcsmart-ttyQ01e2.pid
> srw-rw----    1 nut      nut             0 Sep 17 22:45 apcsmart-ttyQ01e3
> -rw-r--r--    1 nut      nut             5 Sep 17 22:45 apcsmart-ttyQ01e3.pid
> srw-rw----    1 nut      nut             0 Sep 17 22:46 apcsmart-ttyQ01e4
> -rw-r--r--    1 nut      nut             5 Sep 17 22:46 apcsmart-ttyQ01e4.pid
> -rw-r--r--    1 nut      nut             5 Sep 17 22:46 upsd.pid
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            5 Sep 17 22:46 upsmon.pid
> (foghorn pts7) #
>
> Notice that with the exception of upsmon.pid everything is owned by nut.
> You will get different file names then above unless you happen to be monitoring
> 4 apc ups's connected via Equinox Ethernet Serial ports. :-)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com

Thanks for helping Tom,
  This as far as got this morning,seems that usb comms is the last
stumbling [fumbling :-)] block. Error messages :

[root at reddwarf sysconfig]# service ups start
Starting genericups -x upstype=11 -x CP = usb: Network UPS Tools -
Generic UPS driver 1.30 (2.0.2)
UPS type: Powerware 3115

Unable to open =: No such file or directory

Things to try:

  - Check 'port=' in ups.conf

  - Check owner/permissions of all parts of path

Fatal error: unusable configuration
                                                            [FAILED]
Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.2
Can't connect to UPS [powermate3105] (genericups -x upstype = 11 -x CP =
usb-ttyUSB0): No such file or directory
Synchronizing........ giving up
                                                            [  OK  ]
Starting UPS monitor (master): Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.1
UPS: reddwarf at localhost (slave) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

                                                            [  OK  ]
[root at reddwarf sysconfig]# su - david
[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo service ups restart
Stopping UPS monitor:                                      [  OK  ]
Stopping upsd:                                             [  OK  ]
Shutting down genericups -x upstype=11 -x CP = usb:        [FAILED]

       ---- || -----
  - Check 'port=' in ups.conf

  - Check owner/permissions of all parts of path

Fatal error: ***unusable configuration***
                                                            [FAILED]
Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.2
Can't connect to UPS [powermate3105] (genericups -x upstype = 11 -x CP =
usb-ttyUSB0): No such file or directory
Synchronizing........ giving up
                                                            [  OK  ]
Starting UPS monitor (master): Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.1
UPS: reddwarf at localhost (slave) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
                                                            [  OK  ]
[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo service ups stop
Stopping UPS monitor:                                      [  OK  ]
Stopping upsd:                                             [  OK  ]
Shutting down genericups -x upstype=11 -x CP = usb:        [FAILED]
[david at reddwarf ~]$

Broadcast message from nutmon (Sun Oct  2 14:21:04 2005):

UPS reddwarf at localhost is unavailable

Broadcast message from nutmon (Sun Oct  2 14:22:20 2005):
Broadcast UPS reddwarf at localhost is unavailable

[david at reddwarf ~]$ ls -l /etc/sysconfig/ups
-rwxr-x---  1 nut nut 648 Oct  2 14:19 /etc/sysconfig/ups

   david