OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Itay Furman fedora at itayf.fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 2 07:16:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Tim wrote:

[snip]

> I still have word processor documents stored in about 6 or 7 unreadable
> formats on various discs.  About my only chance of conversion, with
> layout, is scanning and OCR.  If I just wanted content, and didn't mind
> re-laying out the content, I could save as plain text.  It really is a
> stupid situation to still be in.

This is one reason why I prefer the tex/latex model of
typesetting documents, and avoid Office.

My LaTeX documents, written in the beginning of the '90, will
probably compile under today's tex/latex without any
modifications.  If not -- changes to only few lines should be
enough to redeem most documents (there is no problem in doing the
modifications since the latex source is just plain ascii file).
Which means that I could always read the document's _contents_.

  	Itay