Chicken and egg madwifi question

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sun Oct 2 19:31:51 UTC 2005

Gordon Charrick wrote:
> I'm running fc3 on my computer and almost ready to upgrade to fc4. I
> have a wireless card using madwifi from atrpms.net. If I upgrade to fc4,
> I'll be running 2.6.11-1.1369. Axel's web site only has a prebuilt
> module for the latest 2.6.12 kernels and I haven't been able to find any
> old modules on the net. Trying to build the module using the source rpm
> gets me this:
>
> $ rpmbuild -bb madwifi-0.9.4.12-16.rhfc4.at.spec
> error: line 1: Unknown tag: %kmdl madwifi
>

> So, my choices are the following:
>
> 1. Figure out how to build the module from the source rpm. Anyone know
> what I'm missing to build it?
>
> 2. Do the upgrade and have the 2.6.12 kernel and madwifi module already
> downloaded and hope I don't run into a dependency problem.
>
> 3. Find someplace on the net that archives old madwifi modules for the
> original fc4 kernel version.
>
> Obviously, number 3 is the best choice, if I can find such a site.
> What's the best solution to the problem?

I build it from the latest tgz file each time I install an FC4 kernel
upgrade. It's a simple as

do_madwifi:
  #! /bin/sh
  cd /usr/local/src
  rm -fr madwifi*
  wget http://madwifi.otaku42.de/madwifi-cvs-current.tar.gz
  tar -zxvf mad*.tgz
  cd madwifi
  make
  make install
  cd tools
  make
  make install

The very first time you do this, you may need to install sharutils (yum
install sharutils) to get uuencode and, after the make install, type
"modeprobe ath_pci".

--

   Steve