how to recover deleted files?

micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Sun Oct 2 19:51:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 15:56 +0100, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Thanks! :-)
>
> at least I knew something about recovery tool but I
> couldn't use that. The recovery tools that comes with
> are commercial and only contained demo version which
> can only show that which files can be recoverd.
> Anyway I got my files recovered in my friends windows
> xp machine.
>
> By the way I am wondering why there is no file
> recovery tools in linux while there are plenty of
> recovery tools available for linux file systems (e2fs,
> e3fs) in windows platform. Linux users don't do any
> mistakes like what I have done?

I am very glad you got your files back, at any rate.

Well, while I don't think there is a shortage of undelete utilities that
run on Linux, you will find there are far more programs out there that
deal with backing up data. So, I think the mindset is, keep current
backups, so that if you accidentally delete a file, its a trivial matter
to recover from a backup rather than mucking around with inodes and raw
data.

With that being said, there are still a few utilities that will undelete
files on a linux file system that run in linux.  I have used midnight
commander and it works pretty well.  There are other utilities here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+undelete+files

I don't think there is a linux tool to recover files from a vfat file
system, because the assumption is that if you have a vfat FS, then you
must be using it to share files with windows, and there are enough
windows utilities for that as it is.

Micheal