Odd dependencies(FC4)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 2 21:29:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 13:13 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> I was attempting to remove mozilla today and noted the following
> dependencies from yum.  Is this an expected effect, or something that we
> should look into?
>
> Dependencies Resolved
>
> *snip*

[mpeters at laptop ~]$ rpm --test -e mozilla
error: Failed dependencies:
        libgtkembedmoz.so is needed by (installed)
yelp-2.10.0-1.4.2.i386
        libxpcom.so is needed by (installed) yelp-2.10.0-1.4.2.i386
        mozilla >= 1.7.12 is needed by (installed)
yelp-2.10.0-1.4.2.i386
[mpeters at laptop ~]$

yelp is what needs mozilla on my system.
If removing mozilla via yum gave you that list of apps that depend upon
it, it may be a bug in yum.

If you don't want yelp (the help system for gnome) you can probably
remove it with rpm -e yelp - and then remove mozilla with rpm -e
mozilla.

If you do want yelp (it is quite useful) you could remove the mozilla
desktop file - /usr/share/applications/mozilla.desktop - and then it
won't be in your menu items anymore (until the next update ...).

Interestingly -

[mpeters at laptop ~]$ locate libgtkembedmoz.so
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/libgtkembedmoz.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/libgtkembedmoz.so
[mpeters at laptop ~]$ locate libxpcom.so
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/libxpcom.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/libxpcom.so
[mpeters at laptop ~]$

I wonder if yelp could be build to use the Firefox libgtkembedmoz.so and
libxpcom.so instead of the Mozilla versions.

In fact - I wonder if the common libraries between them could just be
package they both depend on, along with yum, so that the duplication
isn't necessary.