X & ViewSonic VG710b using the 810 driver

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 23:43:37 UTC 2005

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

>Immediately after installing FC4 from CD's, I launched a yum update from
>within and X terminal session to download 400+meg of patches. At that
>time, I believe I was using 1024x768 screen resolution I picked as the
>default during install. Everything went well.
>
>After rebooting, X is giving me a problem. The display hardware reports
>an error on the display -
>	Out of range - H Freq 70KHz - V Freq 87Hz
>
>Below is the pertinent part of xorg.conf:
>Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>        ModelName    "ViewSonic VG710b"
>        DisplaySize  340        270
>        HorizSync    30.0 - 82.0
>        VertRefresh  50.0 - 85.0
>        Option      "dpms"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>        Driver      "i810"
>        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>        BoardName   "Intel 865"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "Videocard0"
>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
>        DefaultDepth     24
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     24
>                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>        EndSubSection
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     16
>                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>        EndSubSection
>EndSection
>
>The login screen appears to be at 1280x1024, or at least 1024x768. The
>1280x1024 is the native resolution for the display.
>
>Immediately after login, the hardware error appears on the display. I
>have to Ctrl-Alt-+ to get to a lower resolution to see anything, and
>then the virtual screen is larger than the physical screen so I have to
>mouse around to the corners to see everything.
>
>Clearly, the 87Hz is greater than the maximum stated in the xorg.conf
>file. I can't seem to affect the V refresh no matter what I say in the
>conf file.
>
>I checked bugzilla looking for Intel 865 and found nothing of interest.
>
>Any ideas?

This probably is not a solution, but did you see if you could adjust
"gnome-display-properties". There is a pull-down you can adjust
vertical refresh. I am thinking that one is interacting with the X settings.

Regarding the Intel 865, I have an 856G away at work. I run 1280x1024
and note no problem. I believe gnome-display-properties shows 75HZ for
my settings. I can check out this tomorrow to verify vertical settings.
I have th latest version released into updates for FC4 installed.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.