X & ViewSonic VG710b using the 810 driver

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Oct 3 00:33:28 UTC 2005

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 19:43 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>This probably is not a solution, but did you see if you could adjust
>>"gnome-display-properties". There is a pull-down you can adjust
>>vertical refresh. I am thinking that one is interacting with the X settings.
>>
>>Regarding the Intel 865, I have an 856G away at work. I run 1280x1024
>>and note no problem. I believe gnome-display-properties shows 75HZ for
>>my settings. I can check out this tomorrow to verify vertical settings.
>>I have th latest version released into updates for FC4 installed.
>>

>I tried that when I had a max setting of 1024x768. The only option it
>would display is 85Hz and it wouldn't work. Thereafter I set up
>1280x1024, but never tried your suggestion on THAT setting.
>
>Well, I just tried it, and it offers 75Hz for 1280x1024, and all is
>working.
>
>Thank you for making the suggestion. I still don't understand where the
>87Hz is coming from, and I can't use 1024x768, but I'll take 1280x1024.

I'm glad that it works at 1280x1024 for you. I believe
system-config-display writes the xorg.conf file but does little after
the file is configured. gnome-display-properties seems to read the
settings from whatever is setup in the xorg.conf file as reference. I am
not sure what active role it plays with the display when you are using
the GUI.

Regarding 87 hz being detected by the display, 85 HZ might be sent out
by your videocard and 87HZ is detected by your display. It could be
reversed also w/ the video driver clocking at 87 vs.85, I did notice
That I had to offset  my vertical adjstment on my display after applying
the last update to xorg-x11 to my system.
Either way, I'll try 1024x768 on the 865G that I use at work and check
what  happens with my system. Thanks for narrowing the problem down to
the settings. My curiousity is triggered now.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.