Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Oct 3 16:21:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-30-09 at 21:02 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > It had nothing to do with the 2.6 kernel or frequent updates. It
> > had to do with dropping support for many of the command line and
> > applications many people used and wanted to continue using. It
> > also involved changes to the kernel that made it impossible for
> > most people to get some of their applications to compile, which
> > is partly why they were dropped by Red Hat. Unfortunately if
> > anyone were to build their own kernel, they would then have to
> > constantly maintain it, whenever security vulnerabilities were
> > discovered. In any case things broke without warning and no
> > remedies were provided by Red Hat, the package was just dropped
> > in the next release. Many of these packages are still maintained
> > and available on other distributions, contrary to many of the
> > excuses given at the time.
> >
> > I can not continue, I feel a rant coming on.
>
> I can't think of anything offhand that worked on RH7.x that
> doesn't work in Centos3.x.  Elm, maybe...  Examples???

Elm, Pico, Wine, Word Perfect and Gatos Drivers are all I can think of
now. Some of these may have been fixed by now but I have replaced
hardware and started using terminal services to use the programs I
needed to have running in wine. Some of these are available in other
repositories now, but that did not help back then. It also didn't help
how I felt when I was billed for a one year RHN subscription a month
before the announcement that in 6 months RHL 9 would no longer be
supported.

It's a little late to be concerned about this now, the reputation was
damaged quite a while ago. And the arrogant attitudes that caused the
rift, persist to this day. Unless you have pull within RH, I suggest
you drop the inquisition, all you are doing is reminding me and many
others of problems that upset them from back around that time. If I
didn't have customers using RH products I would not be here now. I have
moved all our servers to FreeBSD and only keep one FC workstation
around for testing.