Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:12:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 11:21, Guy Fraser wrote:

> > I can't think of anything offhand that worked on RH7.x that
> > doesn't work in Centos3.x.  Elm, maybe...  Examples???
> >
> Elm, Pico, Wine, Word Perfect and Gatos Drivers are all I can think of
> now. Some of these may have been fixed by now but I have replaced
> hardware and started using terminal services to use the programs I
> needed to have running in wine. Some of these are available in other
> repositories now, but that did not help back then. It also didn't help
> how I felt when I was billed for a one year RHN subscription a month
> before the announcement that in 6 months RHL 9 would no longer be
> supported.

If you resent paying RH for support, you should be really happy
to find the Centos distribution...

> It's a little late to be concerned about this now, the reputation was
> damaged quite a while ago. And the arrogant attitudes that caused the
> rift, persist to this day. Unless you have pull within RH, I suggest
> you drop the inquisition, all you are doing is reminding me and many
> others of problems that upset them from back around that time.

Again, Centos does not inherit any attitude problems.

>  If I
> didn't have customers using RH products I would not be here now. I have
> moved all our servers to FreeBSD and only keep one FC workstation
> around for testing.

That's actually pretty funny if you look at the number of things
that worked well on RH9 but not RHEL3 compared to FreeBSD back
then.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com