bandwidth usage by IP address

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Oct 3 20:23:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 15:56, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know of a program that can monitor the bandwidth
> usage of my LAN by IP address?  All the the client PC's use static IP's
> and it would be useful to see how much traffic each one is using.  The
> only thing is the need to use SNMP instead of an ethernet device
> listening on promiscious mode, because the network device is a lynksys
> router and the network is on a switch, not a hub.  It doesn't seem like
> MRTG can give a summary of usage by individual IP addresses?
>
> Thanks..

Check out ntop.  You will need to get the system running ntop in a
position to see all traffic.  But the reports it generates are extensive
and does an excellent job of breaking down the traffic.

Actually if you do have the info available via SNMP, MRTG can be setup
to provide charts showing that data.  You might want to check out CACTI,
I believe it provides a better interface to MRTG but uses the same
underlying tools.