Printer configuration

Timo Ketola timo at riihineva.no-ip.org
Mon Oct 3 20:26:41 UTC 2005

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 10/3/05, *Timo Ketola* <timo at riihineva.no-ip.org
> <mailto:timo at riihineva.no-ip.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I'm totally lost:
>
>     My Laserjet 4+ prints a few millimeters too high, in other words,
>     the upper margin is too small.
>     I can't correct that whatever I try. I have tried to edit the
>     /etc/cups/ppd/LJ4.ppd -file and
>     the margin and page-top/bottom values in Applications->System
>     Settings->Printing. In every
>     occasion I have restarted or HUPed the cups.
>
>     Nothing changes... Please help the little frustrated soul out...
>
>     --
>
>     Timo
>

> Obligatory questions:

Thanks for taking care of me!

> 1. When printing the CUPS test page does the image fit within the
> printable area of the paper?

Yes, it does.

> 2. From which application(s) are you having this problem?

OOo Writer. The situation is the same with alignmargins script too.

BUT I must correct what I said before. The print position is NOT several mm too high, only a
little bit. Margins should be 5.08mm according to the /etc/cups/ppd/LJ4.ppd file but they are
3.9 (top) 5.3 (bottom). The bigger error I told before seems to be due to the unreliable manual
feeder (totally mysterious to me). With lower tray the margins are consistently those 3.9 and 5.3.

But the thing, which remains, is that the margins doesn't obey anything. I really wish that I
could fine tune them. I have many different forms I have to print to. I had to lay them all out
again separately if I can't tune the margins at driver level.

--

Timo