OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Oct 3 21:01:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-10 at 11:58 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:

> >>We weren't pretending when higher ups decided that we would now all be on
> >>a Word standard.  This required all official documents for our office to
> >>be produced in Word format.  After 18 years of a Word Perfect standard,
> >>there were a lot of legacy documents to be converted to Word.  Neither
> >>Word nor Word Perfect was able to convert complex documents from one
> >>format to the other.  Many hours were spent (by others) converting
> >>documentation from WP to Word.  There are now less than a dozen licenses
> >>for WP in the division, so finding someone to convert a legacy document
> >>can be difficult.
> >>
> >>When OOo announced its upgraded Word Perfect filter about 18 months ago, I
> >>was experimenting with it and a co-worker mentioned a document with tables
> >>that he had tried to convert with no success.  He e-mailed me the
> >>document, I opened it in OOo, saved it in Word format and e-mailed it
> >>back.  It may not have been perfect, but he was very happy.
> >>
> >>With OOo, I'm no longer concerned about loosing access to my Word Perfect
> >>Documents.  Also, I can read Word docs, without having to send $ to M$ for
> >>the privilege.  (It is provided at work, but I don't even have to use it
> >>there.)
> >>
> >>My point is that sometimes old versions of the software are not available,
> >>having been removed for security purposes, non-renewal of the license, or
> >>the only remaining copy of the software died on a dead hard drive.
> >>

> >>Nancy
> >>

> > And that scenario IMHO is what using an open document format is expected
> > to eliminate.  Using one proprietary format (WP) and having to convert
> > to another (M$) is a nightmare.  If the format were open then it would
> > not matter which work processing tool you were using.  They all could
> > read/write it.
> >

> We are working on a new archival system for our work.  Not only
> documentation but data files and many other file types.  I pushed from
> day one that all saved and archived formats must be open formats for
> just the reason you post.
>
> -
> Robin Laing
We could only wish to have management that could understand these
issues. I know from experience, that management bought the MSFT
propaganda, and ignored what the IT department proposed. I am the only
person left in the office that is not using MS Office. The only thing
that allows me to keep a Linux workstation is that I am the senior
network administrator. As long as I export my documents in Excel or Word
formats management doesn't care. I just don't make ripples anymore,
because last time I brought it up I was almost forced to switch to
windows. I saved myself using the, catastrophic virus vulnerability
scenario, where all the windows machines could crash, but we would still
have one workstation to maintain the system. I am not sure if they
bought it or just gave in, but my Linux machine survived that gauntlet.