Are kernel patch files available?

Nick Bishop nick4soup at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 4 08:45:05 UTC 2005

[Apologies, broken thread from replying to a digest,
this will be the last].

> Any real good reason for running a kernel with
> bugs, misbehaviours and even several security
> issues?

OK, I was going for the closest match, in an attempt
to minimise surprises, but I guess I'm a bit naive.

> Using rpmbuild the right way patches the base
> kernel tarball with the set of patches the Fedora
> kernel has.

> Btw. the set of patches of the current FC3 kernel
> can be online viewed through CVS web interface:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/kernel/FC-3/

Thank-you. For the others who are bewildered, I
imagine you select the label you want (...667), then
download the ".spec" file.  You can then interpret
this file while reading the man page for rpmbuild, and
work out what files you need to have access to, when
you use rpmbuild.

HINT: to use rpmbuild as non-root, use the advice in
http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/

My plan from here on in is to use above knowledge to
patch up to 2.6.9-1.667, compile the kernel, then go
onto more adventurous things, such as patching the
kernel source to later releases and compiling.

Nick Bishop, email replies ignored.
-----
Disclaimer, n:
  Advice to the reader that they should put their lawyer away.
-oOo-