OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 4 12:21:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 15:01 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> I saved myself using the, catastrophic virus vulnerability
> scenario, where all the windows machines could crash, but we would
> still have one workstation to maintain the system. I am not sure if
> they bought it or just gave in, but my Linux machine survived that
> gauntlet.

It's a good argument, nonetheless.  I know of one business that only
stayed in business when their computer system crashed, because their
computer wasn't the only thing with their accounts on.

Having some alternatives is a good idea for various reasons.  As well as
what's just been mentioned, it gives you experience in alternatives
should you need to change in a hurry.  Perhaps it gives you a foot in
the door, perhaps it teaches you one more avenue that should be avoided
before you get into it.

Why is it that marketing seems keen on exploring new avenues, but IT
seems intent on closing off options?

I read messages from the public lists.