system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?

valentin antonescu valduboisvert at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 15:48:59 UTC 2005

 Speaking of numbers, I work in bioinformatics (Dana
Farber Cancer Institute) and most of us are using
linux. Macs are very popular because they can be
easily used for taking notes in a conference or
visualizing experimental data for example. But when it
comes to real work, data mining, tool development and
so on, linux/unix are by far the winners. Windows just
doesn't fit in here. MAC has also made big
improvements with their OS getting closer to our
needs. We bought 40 Dell blades recently and we're
planning to have them loaded with a Fedora Core 4
image. Also most of our workstations are running Core
3 and just a few java developers have still prefered
to stick with XP. While I'm by far one who can call
himself an expert, I do have some experience in this
field. And that means I know just a few good ways of
getting things done and hundreds of wrong ways that
leads to failure. Windows is among those hundreds
wrong ways.

 for a growing linux community,
  Val

>Message: 15
>Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 03:16:30 +0800
>From: "?? Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar)"
><survivor at brisnet.org>
>Subject: Re: system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?
>To: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
>Cc: For users of Fedora Core releases
><fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

>I don't mean to be rude, but if your speaking in your
>personal
>capacity,
>then all is fine, but if your speaking on behalf of
>the Linux
>community,
>then I'd have to refute your claims.
>
>Having numbers on our side helps plenty, really.
>Microsoft is one good
>example.
>
>Craig White wrote:
>
>> ----
>>
>>The problems with your assumptions are:
>>
>>Linux isn't interested in obtaining wholesale
>switchovers from Windows
>>to Linux OS's. That's a common misconception that
>many Windows users
>>make. Linux is it's own operating system without a
>commercial bent and
>>thus no need to keep selling the same thing over and
>over again to the
>>same people.
>>
>>There are some distributions that are interested in
>selling their
>>packaging against the Windows packaging and this
list >doesn't have
>>anything to do with that - fedora is a free
>distribution.
>>
>>For some things, GUI is a more efficient way of
doing >them. For other
>>things, you can't beat the power of the command
line. >The problem of
>>course is the knowledge of when and how and between
>Macintosh and
>>Windows, there's a lot of computer users that have
>little interest,
>>little reason to garner up the knowledge of things
to >get up and
>running
>>and thus rely on setup wizards. Most of the Linux
>distributions aren't
>>quite up to the level of Windows wizards. For other
>users, i.e. the
>ones
>>that aren't afraid to learn some of the inner
>workings of a computer,
>>once they get over their fear of something
different, >like Linux, a