High availability mail server options

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Tue Oct 4 16:09:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 08:52 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> 1. I am not sure that I would use Fedora anything for HA intent. I would
> probably use RHEL or CentOS or Debian or something in the stable
> category
We've got clients running FC2, FC3 and FC4 servers, sometimes with multi
Terrabyte arrays, and lots of services running and not a single hiccup.
We run FC3 & FC4 servers ourselves and have run FC servers since FC1
came out and have never had a problem.

> 2. A Maildir setup would likely put each users folders in their home
> directories making it extremely difficult to backup the mail itself
> whereas something like cyrus-imapd has it's own mail store which can be
> put onto it's own partition and could simply be dumped.
Use qmail with vpopmail and all the mail ends up (by default unless you
change it) in /home/vpopmail/domains/domainX/userX/Maildir .

--
Bill Gradwohl