High availability mail server options

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Tue Oct 4 16:41:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 09:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > 2. A Maildir setup would likely put each users folders in their home
> > > directories making it extremely difficult to backup the mail itself
> > > whereas something like cyrus-imapd has it's own mail store which can be
> > > put onto it's own partition and could simply be dumped.
> > Use qmail with vpopmail and all the mail ends up (by default unless you
> > change it) in /home/vpopmail/domains/domainX/userX/Maildir .
> ----
> and that's perfect. I don't think dovecot would do it that way.
>
> Craig

I have postfix sending the mail to a /home/vmail/domains/<domain>/<user>
style arrangement.  Dovecot handles this arrangement nicely as well.
Rsync should be able to handle it pretty easily via cron job, but it
would be nice if I can reliably take it to a lower level.

For receiving external mail, I can simply list both (or more) of the
mail servers with MX and let them sync each other.  For joe internal
user sending mail and accessing via IMAP, I would do an LVS or
round-robin DNS style thing to get them to one of the servers.  While I
may have a brief interruption in the event of a server failure, thats
acceptable at this point.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>