open source dvd software/player...

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Oct 4 17:51:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 10:31 -0700, bruce wrote:
> hey...
>
> trying to find an open source app to create a dvd file, as well as play the
> file...
>
> can anyone give me insights/pointers to software that you've actually
> used/got exerience using/knowledge of...

I use dvd-author - I think its in livna - to create DVD's from avi etc.
The box I do it on is dead at the moment, so I can't verify the name
exactly. The process is a little hairy - I have a shell script that does
most of it for me, again on my dead machine :(

For playing DVD's - I use totem with some plugins that are not currently
available from livna, but should hopefully be available soon.

You can however play them with mplayer/ogle/xine which are in
rpm.livna.org repositories.