New to LAMP

Aly S.P Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Tue Oct 4 22:00:21 UTC 2005

I guess that I would suggest CentOS which is a Redhat clone, this will
allow you to practice and learn on a system which is very close to what
you would deploy in production which hopefully would be a RedHat
Enterprise OS for obvious reasons.

I would suggest getting a book to learn about Linux and do plenty of
playing around and crashing stuff as that would teach what to do and what
not to do. A book will give you some formal guidence in how to work with
the OS.

I would suggest PostgreSQL over MySQL for "LAMP" projects, its a way more
mature database then MySQL. And its what RedHat will support you on
readily. Other's may have varying opinions on this.

Cheers,

Aly.

--
Aly S.P Dharshi