udev - treo - FC-3

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 4 23:28:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:18 -0600, kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
wrote:

> > > Looks like visor isn't picking it up.  While the device is trying to
> > > hotsync, run a /sbin/lsusb to see what the PID/VID is for it.  It may
> > > need to be added to visor.  You should be able to load visor by hand
> > > adding 'product=0x???? vendor=0x????' substituting the appropriate
> > > values from lsusb and it may pick it up.
> >
> > ----
> > applied Windows solution (reboot) and that somewhat helped. Now it
> > definitely shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 & /dev/ttyUSB1 (hooray - I knew
> > without that, it would be hopeless).
> >
> > # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules
> >
> > BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="iPod            ", KERNEL="sdp2", NAME="%k",
> > SYMLINK="ipod"
> >
> > BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="pilot"
> >
> > # cat /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-udev.permissions
> > pilot*:craig:usb:0666
> > ttyUSB1:$local:uucp:0660
> >
> > clearly should work...but still struggling here...
> >
> > # pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -L
> >

> >    Listening to port: /dev/pilot
> >
> >    Please press the HotSync button now...
> >    Error accepting data on /dev/pilot
> >
> > ;-(
> >
> > getting closer though - thanks Kevin/Dave
> >
> > Craig
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.
>

> I'm no udev expert. However my filenames differ from yours in that my
> filenames are :
>  /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules
>  /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-visor.permissions
>
> maybe its no big deal. I have the udev rules/permissions files as well but
> with significantly different content.
----
I don't think that there's much significance to file names with the
exception that files are parsed in alphabetic order and named
whatever.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d and whatever.permissions
in /etc/udev/permissions.d

I apparently have run the table and don't know how to reset...

Oct  4 15:42:35 lin-workstation kernel: usb 3-3: new full speed USB
device using ohci_hcd and address 16
Oct  4 15:42:36 lin-workstation kernel: visor 3-3:1.0: Handspring
Visor / Palm OS converter detected
Oct  4 15:42:36 lin-workstation kernel: usb 3-3: Handspring Visor / Palm
OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Oct  4 15:42:36 lin-workstation kernel: usb 3-3: Handspring Visor / Palm
OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Oct  4 15:43:20 lin-workstation kernel: usb 3-3: USB disconnect, address
16
Oct  4 15:43:20 lin-workstation kernel: visor ttyUSB0: Handspring
Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Oct  4 15:43:20 lin-workstation kernel: visor ttyUSB1: Handspring
Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1

as now that I have connected and failed at address 16, I can no longer
connect to ttyUSB0/1 at all again.

I can reboot - which apparently gives me another 16 chances  ;-(

I have settled on this...

# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="iPod            ", KERNEL="sdp2", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="ipod"

BUS="usb-serial",ID="ttyUSB1",NAME="%k",SYMLINK="pilot"

[root at lin-workstation ~]# cat /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-
udev.permissions

pilot*:craig:usb:0666

but I am still getting error when trying to connect to pilot-xfer or
jpilot on FC-3

   Error read system info on /dev/pilot

which did indeed exist before I ran past 16 addresses and it
created /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 upon pressing cradle button

does bluetooth work for this? I might go out and pick up a bluetooth
adaptor for my PC

Craig

believed to be clean.