swap space

Eduardo Dela Rosa eduardo.delarosa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:41:46 UTC 2005

Hi Tina,

I don't see any reason why you should avoid taking the default.
When in doubt, always accept the default that installation process
gives you UNLESS you know what you're doing.

However, in principle, linux recommends you to allocate 2x the size
of your physical RAM BUT having a powerful machine as yours (4-way & 16GB
RAM), I don't see that the same principle applies.

In real scenario, swap partition would only come to work if (1) you
are running a memory-thirsty application, (2) a program that
processes voluminous transaction that requires serializing data
onto your harddisk, or (3) your application has memory leak. Either
of the 3 will definitely exhaust your memory which will put swap
partition (swapping in/out) into work. Also, note that frequent
swapping in/out may mean problem with one of your resources and
would heavily affect performance.

cheers.

On 10/5/05, Tina Wang <tina06992003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>  I have box with four processors and each has DIMM of 4 Gb. How big the
> swap size I should specify? FC4's default swap is 2.0 GB for this box.
>  Thank you very much for you helps.
>  Tina

Eduardo Dela Rosa