Castle Wolfenstein and No Audio

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Wed Oct 5 06:39:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 09:54 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> What error code?
>
> Gilboa
>
> On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 21:40 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > I loaded up CW Enemy Territory and it works great, but no audio.  I
> > tried the wierd looking "echo et.x86 0 0 blahblahblah into your oss
> > settings, but I can't get anything to work on my FC4 system.  This is an
> > x86_64 box with a CK804 chipset using the intel8x0 sound drivers....
> >
> > When wolfenstein starts, it fails to open /dev/dsp with an error
> > referencing mmap failures.
> >
> > Any clue folks?
> >
> > Sean

Well, nm on this issue.  There seems to be an issue with the sound card
when multiple apps attempt to use it.  The startup program(wolf)
actually calls a second program(either wolfsp or wolfmp) depending on
whether you want to play single player campaign or multi-player
frag-festing.  Since the first application(wolf) has the audio device
open, the second application(wolfsp) cannot access it(hence the failure
to open).  Running the wolfsp application by itself from a terminal
actually works and the game is quite fun.

This would seem to be related to my audio device/driver(OSS?).  Any
other thoughts?

Sean