Newbie: opening files form the command line

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 5 07:14:29 UTC 2005

On 04Oct2005 19:45, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
| On 10/3/05, Toralf Lund <toralf at procaptura.com> wrote:
| > Not sure that's really what he needs. I'd rather suggest doing
| > gnome-open phonenumbers.xls
| > (For the actual file open.) No manpage for this tool, I think, but it's
| > probably described somewhere in the help system.
|
| Thanks, this is almost exactly what I am looking for. However, it uses
| the gnome defaults. As I use KDE, I have only set up the KDE defaults.
| Is there a KDE equivelent? The obvious kde-open file.txt does not
| work.

[ Disclaimer: I don't use KDE or Gnome. ]

If you're running KDE, see if there's something on the desktop for
configuration or settings.  You want the handlers for the file types. With
luck it will tell you what app it launches by default for each file type.
I do not know if there's an equivalent to gnome-open that picks the "right"
handler to run.

However: note that your statement "I use KDE, I have only set up the
KDE defaults" does not preclude you from using gnome-open. You may want
fiddle your Gnome defaults tool.  Nothing prevents you running a mix of
Gnome or KDE (or, indeed, entirely "other") tools at the same time.

Most command line users only deal in a few formats. For text we use a
text editor (vi, emacs, pico etc). Things like a spreadsheet require a
suitable tools. So I might type:

	gnumeric foo.xls
    or
	oocalc foo.xls