device venting

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Oct 5 07:48:46 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

> I have October issue of Linux Journal on my desk and title article is...
>
> Plug it in and it Works
>
> OK - nice thinking.

Well look at your box and how many things ARE plugged into it and working.

Hardware support is a constant game of catch-up, but for the most part
Linux does catch up.  For example the version of the pwc driver in
current kernels doesn't work with my webcam, but the latest released pwc
does... right now I have to cook it by hand but before long that will
come into the default kernels and 'just work' too.  For some USB memory
devices I can even completely work with them in KDE.  It really is
getting there in general.

> # uname -rmp
> 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 i686 athlon
>
> bugzilla pretty much tells me that FC-4 holds no hope for improvement

Update to FC4 with the latest kernel and see how the land lies: it's now
based on 2.6.13 which has a lot of new stuff going on.  Also

tail -f /var/log/messages

in a console while you try stuff related to drivers for clues.

-Andy