yum broken

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 5 08:49:26 UTC 2005

Spencer Kellis wrote:
> I would have thought bad memory would be manifest in many more ways than
> simply yum not working.  My system is otherwise stable, and has been up
> and operating for a week currently without any other issues.  I
> appreciate the idea though, and if you still consider bad memory an
> option I'd be interested to hear it (and how & why).
>
> If there are any other ideas out there, even pointers to what to look
> through for possible problems on my own, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Spencer

The reason he would have suggested it is because it's probably the #1
cause of segmentation faults and signal 11 faults on Linux, together
with bad hardware. This isn't Windows and you aren't in Kansas any more.

Linux is super stable and if it crashes, it is more than likely not
actually Linux's fault.

Trust the reply to your post - run a memtest86 overnight on full testing
suite, don't question a perfectly reasonable response. I think the
person who replied has been around Linux longer than you from what I can
see.

If the memory tests OK, fine, we'll look at something else, but you
really need to eliminate it 100% sure before we go on.

Regards,
Ed.