Problem with installing VMware

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Wed Oct 5 12:04:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 11:45 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 10/5/05, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to install VMware 4.5.2, but when I ran (as root)
> >
> > [root at localhost vmware-distrib]# perl vmware-install.pl
> >
> > I get the following error
> >
> > «Before running VMware Workstation for the first time, you need to configure it
> > by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want this
> > program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]
> >
> > sh: /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl: Permission denied»
>
> I tried the following:
>
> # chmod +x /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
> [root at localhost vmware-distrib]# perl vmware-install.pl
> A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.
>
> Failure
>
> Execution aborted.
> #
>
> Any advice?
>
> Paul

Paul,

The general advice is to get the vmware-any-any-update##.tar.gz file as
suggested regularly on the VMWare support forums.

It appears that your software has been installed, just not configured.
Apply the update and re-run vmware-config.pl.

Since you are running 4.5.2 (instead of the current 5.0), make sure to
read the Fedora Release Notes pertaining to "udev" wiping out the /dev
entries that vmware-config.pl creates (though the latest update may have
fixed this - it is fixed in 5.0).

Good luck,

--Rob