Local mail server (fetchmail/postfix/cyrus ??)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 5 14:00:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:01 +0100, Graham Cossey wrote:

> A local mail server that retrieves email from one or more remote mail
> servers (fetchmail?) and stores the emails locally (cyrus-imap?).
> These emails can then be accessed by local clients or remote workers
> (squirrelmail?).

I do the same thing here.  Fetchmail pulls in mail from all over the
place, and deposits it at the local users account.

My "/etc/rc.local" file contains:

su john -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"

There's one line for each user, and I put in different poll times for
each, so that should stagger all the queries a bit.

Our "~/.fetchmailrc" files contain:

poll mail.example.com proto pop3 user "johndoe" with password bananas,
is "john" here;

That's all one line, and there's several lines like that for each remote
account that person has, and several files like that for each user on
the system (each in their own space).

I could probably use one common fetchmailrc file, but this works well,
and allows people to configure their own fetchmail.  They can also type
in fetchmail in their CLI, and immediately start a new fetch.

Then use whatever IMAP server and clients you want to read the mail.

> When a client sends an email is it possible to route it via cyrus so
> that the local mail server keeps a copy of the sent mail? (nice to
> have)

I don't know about how to do that with the server, but I configure my
mail clients to use a "posted" box on the server to store sent mail.

NB:  I deliberately avoided calling it "sent", as any time I try using
multiple IMAP clients on one account, I end up with several slightly
differently named inboxes, sentboxes, and draft boxes.  I picked a
mailbox name that the clients don't use by default.

I read messages from the public lists.