XEN: how "stable" is it?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Wed Oct 5 14:43:50 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 07:13, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> hey,
>
> i think about throwing away some pc's and moving their function to another
> device with xen. i tried to install older version - they never worked for
> me.
>
> how about the latest version of xen and dom0 and domu for the newer
> kernel? do they work? has already somebody collect some experience with
> xen and fc4?
If you're willing to play around and have a second box to work with where you
can test out updates and such maybe but otherwise I can't recommend it.
Updates constantly break things - especially hardware detection isn't straight
forward in many cases (I got a system that sees all 4GB when booting a normal
kernel but only 512MB with xen... another one has a network card that doesn't
work with the xen kernels running).

You're having the right idea with your consolidation, you're just a bit too
early.

Peter.