New to LAMP

Aly S.P Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Wed Oct 5 14:45:23 UTC 2005

I am not for a minute claiming that MySQL is not robust, all I am saying
- clarifying - is that PostgreSQL has way more features than does MySQL,
and its "Oracle like" to some extent as it is unique.

Some highlights in my opinion are:

 	- Very nice licensing (BSD)
 	- Ability to write store procedures in Perl, Python, Java, PHP etc
 	- Runs natively on Windows, and *nix (so does MySQL)
 	- Tablespaces support
 	- Upcoming version 8.1 has roles
 	- A procedural language PL/pgSQL
 	- Triggers
 	- Very ACID compliant
 	- ODBC and JDBC support
 	- .NET drivers

All of these features are available now in PostgreSQL and are not quite
readily available - some or most of them - in MySQL. Also check out:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/

Which prolly is more accurate.

Cheers,

Aly.