system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:02:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 01:56, "國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar)" wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, U were the one who claimed that U those "miracles"
> that you'd mentioned are possible ONLY if your using Linux, so I pointed
> out to U that it's possible to perform them on Windoze as well.

Of course. 40,000 viruses can't be wrong about windows as the platform
of choice...

> I would
> also like to add that Linux by itself cannot do those things that you've
> mentioned either - It needs to have a package like VNC installed.
> Strictly speaking, Linux by definition, doesn't include VNC, does it?

Ummm, yes.  X includes it on the console screen if you enable it
in the X config.  But, you don't need vnc for remote access anyway
unless you want it for some reason.  X by itself has always been
able to work remotely, either with a full desktop or individual
windows from remote machines.  Most Linux distributions do include
vncserver (for additional sessions besides the console one) and
vncviewer.  No windows distribution includes VNC - it is always
a 3rd party addon.

> I'm afraid that U are the one who is mistaken here.  I have never
> claimed that the GUI gives additional functions to Linux.  If you'd
> refer to my posts, I said that I personally feel that the GUI is a more
> efficient and easier way of doing things.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.  Sort of like a videophone being
more useful than just voice.  You don't always need the moving pictures.
Sometime you might prefer to just talk/type.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com