Editable PDF files

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Wed Oct 5 16:07:38 UTC 2005

Paul Smith grabbed a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

>On 10/5/05, Ian Pilcher <i.pilcher at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Robert Bell wrote:
>>

>>>I have to agree with Fritz, I have 7.0.1 and I still get the big pop up that
>>>says I cant save the data just the form.
>>>

>>When I open an editable PDF, I get a popup telling me that I have the
>>"right" to save my changes.  It's possible that the file you're editting
>>simply wasn't created properly.
>>
>>I suggest checking with one of the files from irs.gov.
>>

>I confirm that with the files from irs.gov, it works fine.
>
>Paul

One of those rare times when both sides are right, in some sense.  The
info at: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=98121,00.html
explains it pretty well, although I havve not yet found anything on the
subject at Adobe.

I suspect that the "NO document rights" is probably the default and that
most creators of these forms are unaware of how to enable them.  I've
seen many which will not let you save, and for most of them there
doesn't seem to be any good reason why the creator of the form would
want to prevent you from this.  Thank goodness I still have my old
Acrobat 4 software, which allows me to design forms as well!  And it
will save the data in those forms that Reader 7 won't allow you to...

BTW, on my 7.0 install I did a Help->Updates and got patches to 7.0.1
and 7.0.2 and 7.0.3.  Perhaps 7.0.1 is now the latest complete packaged
download file available.

--
Fritz Whittington -- TI Alum -- http://www.tialumni.org
"He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met." --Abraham Lincoln