nvidia GeForce 6600 driver and video problem

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 16:16:27 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, Barry Yu <barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Deepak Shrestha wrote:
>
> >rhgb and SELinux seems to interfere with the
> >installation of nvida driver. you are using FC4 right?
> >have a look at:
> >http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Fedora_Core_4_Linux_Installation_Notes#nVidia:
[snip]
> I did used this installation method, however when I started ;
>
> cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
>
> I got a message something like "Thereis not such file or folder", used ls /dev/nv* and I don't see the nvidia directory there.

This is not necessary anymore with the newer nVidia drivers.  Make
sure you have all the updates to FC3 and it should work fine without
it.  I'm not using SELinux, but all I have to do is:
init 3
sh NVIDIA...
# edit xorg.conf changing "nv" to "nvidia" if not already done
init 5
If it is not working, I suspect your xorg.conf.  Can you please post
relevant sections of that?  What were you getting with the nv driver?
Or does that work with the 6600?

Jonathan