Newbie: opening files form the command line

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 18:12:22 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 04Oct2005 19:45, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> | On 10/3/05, Toralf Lund <toralf at procaptura.com> wrote:
> | > Not sure that's really what he needs. I'd rather suggest doing
> | > gnome-open phonenumbers.xls
> | > (For the actual file open.) No manpage for this tool, I think, but it's
> | > probably described somewhere in the help system.
> |
> | Thanks, this is almost exactly what I am looking for. However, it uses
> | the gnome defaults. As I use KDE, I have only set up the KDE defaults.
> | Is there a KDE equivelent? The obvious kde-open file.txt does not
> | work.
>
> [ Disclaimer: I don't use KDE or Gnome. ]
>
> If you're running KDE, see if there's something on the desktop for
> configuration or settings.  You want the handlers for the file types. With
> luck it will tell you what app it launches by default for each file type.
> I do not know if there's an equivalent to gnome-open that picks the "right"
> handler to run.
>
> However: note that your statement "I use KDE, I have only set up the
> KDE defaults" does not preclude you from using gnome-open. You may want
> fiddle your Gnome defaults tool.  Nothing prevents you running a mix of
> Gnome or KDE (or, indeed, entirely "other") tools at the same time.
>
> Most command line users only deal in a few formats. For text we use a
> text editor (vi, emacs, pico etc). Things like a spreadsheet require a
> suitable tools. So I might type:
>
>         gnumeric foo.xls
>     or
>         oocalc foo.xls
>
> to use one or another spreadsheet tool.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> DoD#743

Yes, I know that I can use gnome tools in kde an vice-versa. However,
I do have things set up pretty much the way I like them in kde, and I
don't want to use two tools for the same job. I just don't want to
think "hmm, spreadsheet, what do I use for that?" each time I want to
open a file, and as I am getting more proficient at the command line,
I am finding that I must start. How can I easily populate my gnome
preferances with what I setup in kde?

Which brings me to another question. Is there a list of KDE tools and
Gnome equivelents? As usual in gnome/kde google searches, I got too
many irrelevant results to find anything good.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/mobile/cellphones.php