FC4, VMWare and prelink

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 6 11:05:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 11:33 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 06:22 -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
> > I'm running FC3 and VMWare 4.5.2 without any specific entries in
> > prelink.conf.  Also, I did not change prelink.conf on my x86_64 box to
> > beta test VMWare 5, also FC3.
>
> Hmmm ... that's odd. I know for a fact that VMWare 4.5.2 at some point
> was not compatible with prelink. Maybe prelink has subsequently been
> altered. Of course you would only see the problem if prelink is enabled
> and prelink ran after you had installed VMWare. If your machine has
> anacron disabled and is swithced off at 4am when the prelink cron job
> runs then you would never see the problem.
>
> Anyway, it *was* a problem at one time, but maybe the problem has gone
> away after various updates.
>
> Best, Darren

Darren,

Maybe,  it seems like I did have to do something early in the FC days,
maybe FC2.  Prelink is still enabled as is cron and anacron here.
VMWare, while not used as often anymore, still runs.  It was installed
from the RPM.

I have prelink-0.3.3-0.fc3 installed.  vmware runs
as /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware, which I don't see in prelink's blacklist.

Bob...