Firefox ignores language settings

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 6 13:31:20 UTC 2005

"國產 Wei-Yee Chan (Made in Chinar)":

> I'm very certain that what I'm reading is German.  U don't have to
> change any language settings.
>
> Just visit:   http://www2.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/index.html.de

If you used a URI ending .html.de (like the above), you will get that
page directly, bypassing any language negotiation that the server might
have offered.  Alternatively, if the URI was shortened to not include
the country, e.g. <http://www2.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/index.html>, then
the server is free to negotiate which language variant it serves you, if
they exist.

e.g. It might have index.html.de index.html.en index.html.fr

And you'd get the best match served to you *as* "index.html".

This might be where de-de was falling down - the server looking for
something specific, with no obviously equivalent alternative (to it).

Different servers have different negotiation abilities, too.  My site
suffers because the host still uses Apache 1.3.x.  Anybody visiting
without their browser configured to accept English, amongst any other
languages, gets a 406 error, rather than my English pages anyway.
Apache 2 can avoid that annoying problem, by letting the webmaster
configure a fallback.

(I use content negotiation for a different purpose than language
negotiation.)

I read messages from the public lists.
I read messages from the public lists.