Core 4 Kernel Panic at Install

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 14:57:35 UTC 2005

I am trying to install Core 4 on my desktop machine and I constantly get a
kernel panic immediately during the install.
Basically I pop the DVD in and press enter and it says loading
vmlinuz............ and then it panics out. I've tried passing many options
to the kernel line and nothing seems to be able to get it past this. I had a
little bit of success by passing linux mem=256M, and then I get a different
panic error about not being able to find root device.

My hardware is:

Intel 915 mainboard with onboard video, lan, and sound. The lan and sound
are disabled in the bios because I have a gigabit nic card (RTL8169) and a
sound blaster audigy2 platinum.
The board has 2 pata ports (hda & hdb) which I have a dvd-burner and a
dvd-rom plugged in.

My hard drive is a WD 160 on SATA0.

The disc passed the media check, as I used it for my laptop and it installed
fine. The desktop passes the memtest86 memory check. I've done 100's of
various installs, but this one I can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

I was successful at installing gentoo on this, and have used it on there for
a few weeks. I want to put Fedora back on, but can't get it to load. I
searched the archives on this, and there were some suggestions on trying
nofb and ide=nodma and nothing seems to work.

One other thing I noticed is that when the boot up screen comes up where you
can type linux mem=256M the Fedora background logo is all white and doesn't
show the Core on there.

Thanks.

--
-=/>Thom