Core 4 Kernel Panic at Install

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Oct 6 15:39:30 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 06.10.2005 schrieb Thom Paine um 16:57:

> I am trying to install Core 4 on my desktop machine and I constantly
> get a kernel panic immediately during the install.
> Basically I pop the DVD in and press enter and it says loading
> vmlinuz............ and then it panics out. I've tried passing many
> options to the kernel line and nothing seems to be able to get it past
> this. I had a little bit of success by passing linux mem=256M, and
> then I get a different panic error about not being able to find root
> device.
>
> My hardware is:
>
> Intel 915 mainboard with onboard video, lan, and sound. The lan and
> sound are disabled in the bios because I have a gigabit nic card
> (RTL8169) and a sound blaster audigy2 platinum.
> The board has 2 pata ports (hda & hdb) which I have a dvd-burner and a
> dvd-rom plugged in.
>
> My hard drive is a WD 160 on SATA0.

> -=/>Thom

Probably the well known issue (DVD install + specific Intel chipset). So
do following: at install boot prompt enter some garbage text (i.e.
"garbage" would be ok). The installer will complain not to know what
this instruction means. Thats fine. Just press enter then and let the
installer work.

Alexander

Serendipity 17:37:13 up 7 days, 2:33, load average: 0.13, 0.16, 0.14