fedora-list Digest, Vol 20, Issue 38

rengland at europa.com rengland at europa.com
Thu Oct 6 17:24:18 UTC 2005

> valentin antonescu wrote:
>
>> cursor reaches the very right-hand side of the window,
>> bash should continue the command on the next line. In
>> my case bash doesn't behave like this and I have no
>> ideea why.
>
> I guess bash reacts to what it understands about the capabilities of the
> terminal you are using.  In konsole I see
>
> $ echo $TERM
> xterm
>
> also there are various settings in the konsole 'settings' menu about
> terminal emulations.  Maybe fiddle with the equivalent in the Gnome
> console app.  If you have KDE installed, maybe give konsole a try (it'll
> work under Gnome).  What does bash do in the Ctrl-Alt-F1 virtual consoles?
>
> -Andy

I tried bash quickly on a system at work and it appears to be "wrapping"
the lines as Valentin desires. While this message does not provide a
solution, at least it seems to imply that it might be an environment issue
(some setting local to that installation).  That would suggest
investigating .bashrc files and other user and system default environment
settings.

Bash was not the default shell on this test system so I'm going to verify
this behaviour on my home system where bash _is_ the default.

My brief investigation didn't turn up a specific setting that would be
responsible for this in Gnome but I don't have time, here, to investigate
extensively.

--R