Myth (was wma help)

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 6 17:57:28 UTC 2005

Guy Fraser wrote:

> down to watch it, I couldn't because the "Licence" had expired. I set it

In the US at least, all content is "licensed" for 'fair use' whether the
broadcaster likes it or not, this bogus way of eroding fair use rights
is IMO a new kind of infringement of Copyright law by MSFT.  It makes no
sense to buy into and so support another damaging hegemony in the form
of Media Center.

> I have looked at other PVR solutions including Myth, but I have digital
> cable and the cable company disables the rs232 control so I can't change

Atrpms has myth (yum install myth-suite), I just recently started using
it.  NTL here in the UK is also digital cable, but as they bind their
smartcard to the box they give you it is not possible to rip digitally
even though DVB cards are available to do it, therefore you have to use
a composite (or RGB if you can find one) analogue capture card.  Even a
super-cheapo BT878 card like those from Avermedia (mine was GBP17) will
do it fine.

I also need an IR blaster to automate the recording channelchange
action, if I can't find one soon I will design my own USB one.  The LIRC
version that bitbangs a serial handshake line at 38kHz will be too
unreliable I think :-)

-Andy

PS to save another somewhat offtopic post... I found the 600MHz fanless
EPIA is too weak for a frontend.  Maybe the later 800MHz will be just okay.