Reading System Mail

Graham Cossey graham.cossey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:34:31 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes at mcaschool.net> wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone:
>
> One of my fedora systems has started notifying me that I have new mail
> waiting for me,  this system does not have external mail set up, so I
> know that it must be some form of system mail.  In the past I have
> installed webmin, and used that to read the mail, is this the best way
> to go, or is there a better way to get it?  Someone suggested pine,
> however the install is choking on a missing library which I cannot seem
> to find in yum (libldap.so.2)  I can initiate a search for that library
> via some of the online sources if pine is indeed the best way to go, but
> I would like to know what the best way is before I dedicate the time to
> tracking it down
>
> Thanks
>
> TIM

 man mail

enter 'mail' in a console window, a list of mail items for the current
user is displayed. Enter the number of the email you wish to view.

enter q to quit.

d deletes the current mail.

dp deletes the current mail and displays the next in the list

d1-5 delete mail items numbered 1 thru to 5 inclusive

HTH