stability help needed

Cecil Thornhill cthornhill at juggernit.com
Fri Oct 7 00:27:40 UTC 2005

Thanks Andy. Yeah, it could be lots of other stuff I am not exactly sure
where to go, but that is were the strace and debug stuff comes in. It is a
user mode segfault as far as I can tell, so yeah, I guess it is actually the
interpreter buying the farm. As soon as I get the system back I will try the
vesa change and then (if that is not it - as you suspect), I can go further
on the other test ideas.

Honestly, it has been a long time since I saw this kind of issue on any *nix
system I work with. I started with source from MIT long ago when X was in
development, but I have not been active in development (except as a manager)
for more than 10 years. I have used *nix and X a lot over the years, but I
never had the bad luck to be using hardware where we had this kind of issue.
Most of the time we were writing drivers for the hardware as part of a
project, so the rest of the system was 'plain jane' and known to work. When
we used *nix for servers, we never put the gui on them and we were in BSD
for the most part, so even though I have done lots of projects with *nix I
just do not have much experiance in hardware that does not work (unless it
is my team's code that is the issue - and we are in  a good position to fix
that stuff).

I really suspect that other issues on the MB/display combo may be at work,
but it is hard to shake the fact that the OS runs fine unless I use X. I get
no errors at all and all the non-gui hardware appears to be cool (disk, CD,
net, etc...). Even fancy stuff besides yum is running fine (audio, CD
burners on X, that sort of crud). Normal apps/services like MSQL, SAMBA, and
compilers appear to run fine.

As for the console that works - I found it in the on screen 'sessions' menu
on the gui boot screen. It looks a lot like a character mode gui console,
and I can use it as a user or as root (I can also su to root from my user
account) and all is well. Lots of other gui stuff is cool.

Like you said, this could be in deep in Python or some other such oddness.
Heck, at this point I honestly don't give a darn (well I kinda want to know)
why, I just want to see if I can get a reasonable full feature desktop
replacement for fully gui users with security. I am trying to spec a
replacement for XP. I honestly think the functions are there for the most
part, but I still feel that none of the normal users I interact with would
even consider any system that did not just run out of the box. They put up
with MS crap (when things go bad) because they allready drank the coolaid.
The only reason I have a window of oportunity to switch them is the security
issue - they are pissed at MS over virus problems.

The damn problem is that this darn MD and card are actually aimed at people
who care about 3-d for games. I don't give a crud about that in this
instance, I just have actuall working systems on the other boxes I use and I
don't want to mess with them for this demo. I also don't want to buy another
MB right now - I am wainting for an Intel Mac for myself, unless I can see
something in FC that comes close in presentation and security. Now so far I
have been impressed on the security side, but presentation is sucking wind
just now...Ah well, Moan and Groan - just like a darn user...

Oh well, I will either get to the bottom of it or scrap this MB/Card combo
and move on.

Thanks,

Cecil