fedora-list Digest, Vol 20, Issue 38

wld volodimir.rudenko at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 01:12:03 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, valentin antonescu <valduboisvert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >>  Can anybody give me some hints about how to
> convince
> >> bash to behave the same?
> >
> >Not sure this answers your question...
> >
> >Well, you could either just type the command, filling
> >several lines. Or
> >you could end each line with a \ to continue on the
> >next.
> >
> >Lars
>
>  First thank you very much for your answer. Alas, as
> you already guessed, this doesn't address my problem.
> Let me try to explain it again. Long command lines are
>  supposed to be scrolled by bash. That is, when your
> cursor reaches the very right-hand side of the window,
> bash should continue the command on the next line. In
> my case bash doesn't behave like this and I have no
> ideea why.
>
>  Val

Hi Valentin,
You wrote that bash didn't continue the command on the new line.
What does bash instead? Does the command scroll to the left?
Do you have .inputrc file in your home directory? Is so, please
look into this file. If .inputrc contains a line
  set horizontal-scroll-mode on
that is the reason of your bash behaviour. From bash man page:

    `horizontal-scroll-mode'
          This variable can be set to either `on' or `off'.  Setting it
          to `on' means that the text of the lines being edited will
          scroll horizontally on a single screen line when they are
          longer than the width of the screen, instead of wrapping onto
          a new screen line.  By default, this variable is set to `off'.

Just deleting this line will 'repair' bash.
HTH
--
V.Rudenko
PS. Sorry for my bad English