Disc Free (df) weirdness (FC2)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 7 01:29:41 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2005 21:10, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>At 93%, it must have been about 7098935 blocks used. How did a
>>reboot free up 1017187 blocks?
>
> When deleting a file that is currently being used by a program, the disk
> blocks are actually not freed up until the last process that has a closed the
> file. Most likely one of the files you deleted was still being used.

I forgot to mention... I had NO programs running except for an xterm
with a shell in it, su to root. I had closed all window, and opened
only the one. I do use GNOME with X Window to manage the windows,
however. (I suppose it might have been a gnome-terminal.)

> You can use lsof | grep \(deleted\) to check for that...

Thanks for that tip.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.