Wire tripped

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 7 03:01:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 22:21, Bill Perkins wrote:
> jludwig wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 October 2005 08:58, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> >

> >>Prelink is used to modify ELF shared libraries and ELF dynamiclly linked
> >>binaries to reduce startup time.  Check out the man page for prelink to
> >>get more details.
> >>
> >>The changes you describe are consistent with prelink.
>
> Yes- after perusing the man page, that makes some sense. However, where
> did prelink get triggered from? I sure didn't run it.

Depends on how you run the system.  By default there should be a cron
job in /etc/cron.daily called prelink.  If your system runs 24x7 it
should run at least once a day.

> > You could try something like;
> > -->  rpm -vV -a > /root/rpm_verify
> > Then try less the file /root/rpm_verify.
>
> Cool! I've had it running for a few hours now (this is a 1GHz PIII of
> some sort, with 256M RAM, so it's not the fastest processor on the
> block), and the output looks reasonable so far. I've just switched to
> FC4 from Slackware, and I don't know all the ins and outs of rpm, yum,
> and up2date, so even though I've been using Linux for 10 years now, I'm
> still on a learning curve (which is why I jumped to Linux in the first
> place). Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know what I find.

It is a constant learning curve, always new things to learn.  And
usually just when you get a handle on one service it gets changed.  :)